Jim Fox is the Director for UNC Asheville’s National Environmental Modeling & Analysis Center, whose mission is “To help people understand, and make decisions in, a complex and changing world.”
NEMAC uses visualizations, GIS, websites and decision support tools to address key societal issues that include climate resilience, hazard mitigation, water resources and forest health. NEMAC serves as the anchor tenant in The Collider and has a public/private partnership with FernLeaf Interactive, which is also located in the Collider.
A sampling of recent NEMAC projects:
- The US Climate Resilience Toolkit for the White House and NOAA (toolkit.climate.gov)
- Climate Resilience Plans for municipalities in the Southeast including Asheville, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary, Tallahassee and West Palm Beach.
- Landscape Resilience and Community Resilience studies with the State of North Carolina, City of Asheville, local Council of Governments and the Southern Group of State Foresters.
- Coastal Exposure Index for all national coastal watershed for the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- National Science Team Report for Cohesive Wildland Fire Strategy (Forest Service and Dept. of Interior)